Thursday, July 23, 2009

Moving forward

I have not posted in a few weeks mostly due to family in town, heading out for a week-long vacation and now Bekahs family reunion this week. So I am kinda OK with the lack of writing that has "not" been getting done.

Not a lot of goal reaching has happened in the past three weeks. BUT, I have still gotten several thousand words written. I will do a "real check-in" soon. But, for today I wanted to tell a story about my kids; more specifically Parker.

I have two kids: Parker and Grant. They are such great kids. Parker is turning three next week, and loves stories. Every night he begs for mommy or me to read him a story. In the past few months however he has been a bit obsessed and intrigued with robots. Thus when I lay Parker in his bed I often hear "Daddy, I want a story about a robot."

We didnt have any stories about robots, so I began making up great little short stories about a little boy named Davey and his robot, that Parker has lovingly named Pickles.

During the past two months Davey and his robot, Pickles, have gotten a gift, brushed thier teeth, played baseball, bounced on a trampoline, built a tree fort, gone to the pool among other small adventures. Each story has had a small hurdle that Davey or his robot have to overcome. They are small to me but Parker is always surprised by them. His eyes get so big as he says "Wow!" as I lay out the obstacle in the story. then Davey and Pickles, often with the help of his mommy or daddy learns how to accomplish his goal. I am thrilled to see the surprising abundance of joy that Parker has when Davey "wins." I am also surprised at how excited Parker gets when I mention sharing a new adventure of Davey and Pickles. I am going to have to write all of these down and submit to publishers as a children's series of story books.

I began making notes a few weeks ago and I am excited to officially add this new project to my "project list." A whopping two projects on my list now. :)

I am hoping to write the first Davey and Pickles adventure soon, and post it here on my blog, so keep your eyes peeled for a new little kid's story.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for kids' books! I've always wanted to write one and I have a few good ideas - maybe I'll get around to it one day...good luck - writing really good kids' stories is surprisingly challenging.

Danielle said...

You are such a good dad Ammon. Glad I found your blog!