Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Getting this started

So, I signed up months ago, but haven't done anything since. I assumed that my wife Rebekah would love doing this since she often checks out her friends blogs. But, I guess that she is just super busy with our two little-men; Parker (almost three) and Grant (four months).

I guess I am just going to have to step up and share our family with the world... Of course if you know me, then you know that I wouldn't just do that without an ulterior motive. And yes I do have one. I am an aspiring author (yes, like tens of thousands of others) and I need to begin to get my name out into the wide world. As I have researched novel writing I have learned a lot about the art. So, I think that often I will share pieces of my story on my blog and hopefully catch the interest of people like my who love a great story.

I have worked the plot out in my mind for years, and just about six months ago realized that if I don't get this story out of my head and onto paper, it will never go away. So I began. and thirty pages into my story, halfway through chapter two, I realized that I was not prepared to organize the overwhelming quantity of character details, world building, story plots and arcs, as well as individual character arcs, and much more! I was drowning in the vastness of information that was swimming around in my head and pouring out onto the page. I was constantly jumping around and trying to cordon off and organize the surge of story that followed.

So, I had to stop. I stopped writing with a promise to myself that I would find "tools" to help me better handle my personal conflict with my story. I have been weary about stopping. But, the past 6 months have been VERY well spent. I have learned so much about the writing process for long stories, or if you prefer novels, and now have a very confident feel in again approaching the "job" of writing my story. So, this is the beginning of my journey. I have BIG goals and hopefully the stamina to finish the job. I will probably do several individual posts on several tools that have helped me the most.

I am satisfied that this is a good start. Beginning is always the hardest part of anything. I hope you enjoy my personal take on myself writing my story. Post ya later.

Ammon

PS. Ignore the pic. Its for my background!

No comments: