Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"I wrote yesterday."
"It's about time!" says someone in the vast audience.
"Yeah, I know." I reply.

:) Anyway, I just have a few things that I wanted to communicate to the vast audience. *chirp, chirp*

First, I have found a few more writing podcasts that are FANTASTIC! They are as follows:

  • The Odyssey SF/F Writing Workshop Podcast. This is a podcast of about thirty lectures given to aspiring writers who attend Odyssey. Odyssey is a very small and prestigious annual workshop. Only sixteen people are selected to attend and the workshop runs for six weeks. I WOULD LOVE TO SOMEDAY ATTEND. Perhaps this is a new long term goal :)
  • The Secrets Podcast for Writers. This is produced by Michael A. Stackpole. I haven't listened to much but I did hear some stuff that was fantastic. Unfortunately in the background of his "lecture" is this terribly annoying and repetitive plucky guitar rhythm that repeats about every ten seconds or so. Regardless, I have very high hopes that this will be good. Also, it is a highly recommended podcast from several authors and pod-casters that I respect.

Other than that I have been preparing my 1000 word short short in my mind. I will be writing a rough draft sometime this weekend or early next week. I am very excited about the ideas that I have been dreaming up as I have ruminated on the plot and arcs of my storyline.

One of the biggest decisions that I have made in regard to my short is to write it in first person perspective. I have not done this before but as I have pondered this mini project it became clear that this was right. I have toyed around with the opening sentence and found that I with my limit of 1000 words I need to establish a LOT of character, situation and setting information SUPER quick! The best way that I can do that is to approach this short from first person. As I have played out segments of the story in my mind I have felt a thrill from the prospect of writing this particular story this way.

Well, I better get going. I am attaching a few pics of my little man Parker below. We enjoyed the web-cam on my computer and took some neat pics with a program called Photo Booth (on Mac). Enjoy!
Ammon




No comments: